Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Update on Miss Mya
Today has been a pretty tough day. Mya couldn't eat all morning, and the surgery timeline was essentially 3 hours later than expected. We got to the hospital at 11:00am and were shown to a prep area about 11:45. There she got her arm bands and we wiped her down to make sure her skin was clean and put her into her sweet little robe and socks. Due to the previous surgery being longer than anticipated, we ended up sitting in that room until 1:45. Our little champ was very good, pending the circumstances, but it certainly was a difficult waiting period. Mya was given a some medicine to keep her from getting worried about leaving us, and then they took her to be prepared for surgery.
She was given an IV and the breathing tube. They began the usual anesthesia, but for some unknown reason she reacted to something within the mix and went into cardiac arrest. They resuscitated her and put her on the "ECMO" machine, which is taking the stress off her heart, by oxygenating her blood for her. We were alerted about 1.5 hours later... some tough news to take. We were able to see her fairly soon after. The lead anesthesiologist has never seen this situation in such a "common" procedure (in the thousands of cases he's performed). Mya is currently in the ICU with the best people helping her. One of the nurses commented saying that we are lucky to be here in Seattle with the best people, otherwise she may have not made it; due to the severity of the situation. They have decided not to progress with surgery at this time, until they can analyze the situation further. We are in the ICU for a minimum of 2 days where they'll be testing for any possible reasons for the reaction; as many different surgeons and doctors are thinking thru her situation to find a cause. We would truly appreciate any and all prayer for our situation. She looks pretty rough, but she did open her eyes and we get to be by her at all times.

12 comments:

Domrese Family Blog said...

Thank you for updating. I hope you don't mind but I'm spreading the word and asking for prayers. We will be constantly praying for you. Stay strong. We are thinking of you.

Our Family said...

You guys stay strong. Our thoughts and prayers are with you guys. We love you guys. The Johnson's

Mark and Brittany Sawyer said...

Oh Julie! I love you guys so much and am praying every second for you and Mya. Thank you so much for keeping us updated. I wish we could be there to sit with you. I love you and am praying.

Love,
Aunt Brittany

Swenson Family said...

Julie, I know you don't know us very well, but we wanted to let you know that our thoughts and prayers have been with you, Mya & Rob. Stay strong. We will continue sending our love & prayers your way.

Dave & Becky Swenson

Unknown said...

We love you guys and are praying for the baby girl and you. Take care and stay strong. Godspeed!

Unknown said...

I'm a friend of Angela's and have been praying for you guys!! I will keep you in my prayers, knowing that God will cover you with his Grace giving you the strength you need to get through this uncertian time!!

Adam Richards said...

We are thinking of you. I will see you soon.

Adam

Clover said...

Julie - I am just reading and catching up on all this. My prayers are with you and that beautiful baby girl. (Katie Fuess)

Carissalayla said...

I have been thinking of you and praying all day...I am crying just thinking of all that you went through today, too much. Please let me know if you need anything...I mean even a bag of m & m's and I will bring it to you! I am praying for wisdom and strength for the doctors and for peace for you and Rob.

XOXOXO Carissa

Dena Person said...

Julie and Rob, we had the priveledge of meeting you and your beautiful, precious Mya at Theo's BD party.
I am Jeremy's mother, Dena. She is so sweet my camera could not resist capturing her having fun.
Our prayers will be constant for the behalf of you all. May the Lord bless you with His Mercy and Grace.

All Our Best, Dena and Eric Person

Unknown said...

I am a friend of Adam and Amber. My job is to run the heart-lung machine in the OR and the ECMO machine in the ICU. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Mya. If you have any questions, I would be happy to try and answer. Best wishes. Josh Fisher

Chris and Britt said...

Julie and Rob, Chris and I are praying for your little Mya. Be strong knowing that you all are being lifted up to the heavens by so many. We love you-hang in there!