Monday, August 10, 2009

Monday 8:10am
Mya had a good/uneventful night. She had a bit of a fever, so they've been cooling her with cold packs. Today they're going to work to get her extubated (taking the breathing tube out). Such wonderful news, I can't wait for that to happen. It's not a quick process, so it'll probably come out tomorrow. They have to wean her from the ventilator, by slowly turning it down so she'll start doing the work on her own. She has a lot of junk in her lungs that is normal (mucus etc), that they have to suck out. It's not as clear as they'd like, so they sent for some tests to see if she has any bacteria growing and if an antibiotic is required to clear it up. Otherwise, our beautiful little girl seems to be improving every day. She's been opening her eyes a few times, not really focusing, but we get to see her beautiful blues! Her little arms are tied to the bedside, it's pretty loose, but just so she can't grab anything from her face. They will get to come off when the big nasty tube is removed... we're all looking forward to that.
SMALL WORLD...

Yesterday Rob was online going through some family blogs and he came across a friend of ours, Joel Hilty-Jones, who Rob went to High School with. We both know his family really well, I took piano lessons from his Mom and Rob played basketball with both Joel and his brother, Beau. Anyway, Rob was reading his blog and found out that they are going to be here in Seattle at Children's Hospital TODAY to possibly get a valve replacement for their little first grade daughter! So crazy! We have a high chance of being neighbors in the ICU, pending their exact surgery timing. Not a place I'd generally like to catch up with old friends, but it'll be nice to give each other a little emotional support and prayer. Please pray for their family, the stress of cardiac surgery is more than I would wish on any family. If you'd like to read their story, go to http://hiltysprouts.blogspot.com/

Thank you all for your love and support for our sweet little girl. It's really helping us get through this difficult time. We're so blessed to have such amazing families, co-workers & friends you've all helped us! We love you!

3 comments:

Jaime Ledger said...

Julie, I am so happy to hear of Mya's progress. she has been through enough. I am sure it will be nice for you all to get back to a normal life. I will keep your friend in my thoughts and prayers. I'm going to be at Chidrens to visit a friend of mine who is there with leukemia. If you are out of ICU, I'll stop by and say hello. Let's hope that is sooner than later!!! Glad to hear things are going in the right direction!

Jaime

Mrs. Henry said...

Julie,
I am so thankful for Mya's remarkable progress throughout the weekend.
We're praying.
Krisy

Lydia said...

Julie,
I know that you don't know me, but I have worked with Michelle for the past 5 or so years and have been following your blog. My daughter is about the same age as Mya and I don't know what I would do if I were in your situation. You and Rob have been so brave and I think of you guys and Mya daily. I am so glad to hear that she is doing better and making baby steps towards recovery. I will continue to pray for her.