Thursday, August 06, 2009
The big decision has been made! Mya's test has gone very well by temporarily taking her off of the ECMO machine, her CT scan didn't show any negative signs, and when she woke up, she was moving very normally & she opened her eyes a couple of times. While these are all great steps, it's still not 100% that she didn't suffer any brain damage from her heart failure...but all are huge positives. The amount of brain damage can't be understood until she wakes up completely, however we are very hopeful and the chances are high that she doesn't have any. Weighing all of the options, our surgeon (who has been communicating with us regularly) has said that we can do surgery tomorrow. The unknown risk is that her current level of brain damage (if there is any) could be enhanced by putting her on the heart/lung machine which is required for her surgery. However, the other option of getting better and going home just to come back in a couple of months to do the surgery isn't going without risk either. She still would need to do the heart surgery at some point, and to come back for that would not only be emotionally difficult, but we don't know for sure if she'd have the same issue. So, we have collectively landed on the following plan: 1. Surgery has been scheduled for tomorrow afternoon (anytime from 1:00-2:00ish). 2. She's going to stay on her current anesthesia and ECMO until surgery tomorrow, as it will help with the surgery at this point due to current incisions etc. 3. Surgery will be performed as originally planned; should be 45ish mins to repair her VSD and then will have a 1 hour clean up/recover time prior to getting to see her again. 4. They've given us the rough estimate of being in the hospital probably another 7-10 days since she's got a lot to recover from. Please pray for: NO BRAIN DAMAGE and for an uneventful surgery! We still have reservations about it, but are very optimistic. All of the doctors and surgeons have a more personal connection to Mya now, and we KNOW that they are doing all they can to get her thru this with no issues. THANK YOU!!!