Wednesday, August 05, 2009

Mya had a really good night compared to her day yesterday. The nurses & doctor are pleased with her progress. They've been able to wein her from some blood pressure medication, lower some other pain meds and to give her a catheter to measure her urine output. She is really cold, they've had to lower the temperature of her blood to protect her from brain damage, although she has the possibility of already suffering some damage during her cardiac arrest, it can't really be measured until she wakes up. While Mya is on the ECMO (extra corporpal membrane oxygenation) machine, she will have two nurses at her bedside at all times. They've said that the normal time for this is about 72 hours. The surgeons and doctors will make "rounds" at around 8:00am, visiting all of the patients and to assess their status and decide collectively on a game plan for the day. I'm anxious to hear of their decisions for Mya. This is a picture of the ECMO machine, that saved her life, we are so blessed to have it working for her! Rob is doing okay, he slept in the ICU room with her last night (only one person fits) and I attempted to sleep in a small sleeper room they have on the next floor. It's amazing how difficult it is to turn your brain off. I think I got 4 hours of sleep, between thinking of our little one and replaying the day in my mind. Eating and sleeping isn't easy when you have such a knot in your stomach!!! One of our biggest fears right now is getting her off of this ECMO machine. It kind of sunk in last night how critical she has been... one nurse mentioned that she heard they were trying to resuscitate her for 30 mins. For some reason I didn't realized it had been so long. Another thing we're worried about is her heart condition, it hasn't been fixed and we don't want to do this again! We really need them to find out what the source/trigger was for her heart failure. They could decided to do surgery since she's still under anesthesia, but I have a gut feeling that it won't even be considered, and that we may have to come back in awhile (several months) to re-do everything. Obviously the most important thing is to make sure Mya is stable and that everything is done to get her back to where she was less than 24 hours ago. This ICU is amazing. We're in the infant ICU where Mya is the "biggest" kid. There are a lot of little tiny babies here, it seems like all the "beds" are full. I'm ready for Mya not to be the most urgent care case, it seems so backwards that we came in for such a normal procedure and we end up with the most emergency situation and care in the ICU. Thank you for all of your comments, prayers and emails. We are able to check email and facebook when we want, but phone messages and texting isn't as easy to do, as we have to be out of the room for that. We will continue to post more as we learn more!

11 comments:

AngMomof3 said...

Sweet sweet Mya... we love you!

Praise to God who gives grace to you when you need it!

TA said...

I am praying for you and your family. Continue to have faith that God will provide, and be strong for your little one.

lil sugar beanes said...

i don't know you, but i am a friend of carissa. i just want you to know that your family is in my family's prayers. God is with you & mya and he will continue to give you all the strength you need. you have a beautiful little girl who is very loved.

Mrs. Henry said...

I am praying with all my might. Love to you.

Krisy Henry

Domrese Family Blog said...

Psalm 31:1-3,24

In You, O LORD, I put my trust. Let me never be ashamed; Deliver me in Your righteousness.Bow down Your ear to me,Deliver me speedily; Be my rock of refuge, A fortress of defense to save me.For You are my rock and my fortress; Therefore, for Your name's sake, Lead me and guide me.

Be of good courage, And He shall strengthen your heart, All you who hope in the LORD.


We will continue in our prayer for you and your family.

Jill (Dunning) Griffin said...

Father we ask that you be with the doctors and nurses providing Mya's care give them the discernment and insight to treat this beautiful gift you have bestowed on Rob and Julie. Father we ask that you also provide comfort and peace to Rob, Julie and their extended family members whose hearts are broken for Mya and whose fears are at the fore. God we claim your promise of healing for baby Mya in Jeremiah 30:17 "The Lord has declared the He will restore me to health and heal my wounds" in Jesus name we ask for your promise of healing. Amen

Kate said...

Julie - we are thinking of you and your family and sending lots of healing thoughts and prayers your way. Thank you for the updates on little Mya...

Kate Compton

Palouse Fed. Church said...

Dear Mya, Rob and Julie,
The people of Palouse Federated Church are praying for you all.
God is with you.
Pastor Corey

Suzanne Holling said...

"Have mercy on me, O God, have mercy on me, for in you my soul takes refuge, I will take refuge in the shadow of your wings until the disaster has passed.

I cry out to God Most High, to God, who fulfills his purpose for me. He sends from the heaven and saves me, God sends his love and his faithfulness

Psalms 57:1-3

Jessica said...

Sending warm and loving thoughts to Mya and your sweet family!

Unknown said...

You don't know me. I am Danielle Arceo's mom. I want you to know that you are in my prayers and I will share your story with my church family here in Maysville, KY. I pray that you'll remember that our loving God has you and Mya in the palm of His hands. My prayers are with the medical team as well!

Sharyn Oliver