Thursday, May 31, 2012

We recently got a Strawberry Shortcake book that tells the story of Strawberry finding a nest with an egg in it.  She takes care of it by keeping it warm under a light, and then decides to take it to school for show and tell.  Once she gets to school, she opens the box to share with her class what she brought for her item, and the egg had hatched, and there was a baby bird to share.  She was "berry" excited!  However, she decided that the baby bird needed a Mommy, so she released it to the wild, where a Mommy found the bird right away.  Okay, I realize that I should read every book that I purchase (even from the thrift store)... as this one wasn't exactly sending the most nature friendly storyline.

Recently we found an empty bird nest outside our house on the ground.  Immediately Mya said, "We need to put the egg under a light!"  Thanks to Stawberry's teaching, it reminded me quickly of my own childhood memory of the same situation.  I remember very clearly finding a nest with a blue robins egg when I was young.  I of course put it under my desk light with a thermometer to make sure it was warm enough.  For some reason I didn't need Strawberry's poor example to execute the same situation myself.  Needless to say, the light was not exactly a "warming" light.  I cooked the crap out of that little egg... and broke the thermometer due to the high heat.  Luckily I didn't burn our house down & get mercury poisoning in the mean time! 

I just went back outside tonight to look at the nest and found an egg there.  I'm a little afraid for my daughter to find it, thanks to the poor teaching by Strawberry!!!  We might as well scramble the thing tomorrow for breakfast!  We don't need our place to be burned down!  Amazing how we tend to all do the same things.  I love seeing what our little girls do, as it reminds me often of my own childhood memories.  What a blessing to be a parent!

No comments: